S2E8 Dancing with Capitalism Pt 1 with Rebecca Henderson
Harvard Business School professor and author of “Reimagining Capitalism in a World on Fire,” Rebecca Henderson reflects on where capitalism has failed us and her vision for a new model for a more sustainable, equitable, and just future.
Rebecca Henderson is one of 25 University Professors at Harvard, a research fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research and a fellow of both the British Academy and of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. She is an expert on innovation and organizational change, and her research explores the degree to which the private sector can play a major role in building a more sustainable economy, focusing particularly on the relationships between organizational purpose, innovation and productivity in high performance organizations. Rebecca sits on the boards of Idexx Laboratories and of CERES and was named one of three “Outstanding Directors of 2019” by the Financial Times.
Her publications include Leading Sustainable Change: An Organizational Perspective, and Accelerating Energy Innovation: Lessons from multiple sectors. For several years she taught “Reimagining Capitalism: Business & the Big Problems”, a course that grew from 28 students to over 300 and that is the basis for the newly released Reimagining Capitalism in a World on Fire – a book that has just been shortlisted for the FT/McKinsey 2020 Business Book of the Year Award.
The following resources were referenced in today’s episode:
- Oxfam Report | Not In This Together: How Supermarkets Became Pandemic Winners While Women Workers Are Losing Out.
- New York Times | CEOs who stood up last week and said, you know, being able to vote is a fundamentally important, right.
- McKinsey Report | Help your employees find purpose—or watch them leave
- A Force for Good: The Dalai Lama’s Vision for Our World by Daniel Goleman.
- Building Blocks of Emotional Intelligence: 12 Leadership Competency Primers
- Personal Sustainability Index (online assessment)
- Support our podcast by becoming a monthly Patron.
- Sign up for our Newsletter for the latest on the FPP podcast!
Subscribe to the podcast:
Have feedback? We want to hear it! Submit a Voicemail.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please rate our show and submit a review. It helps us spread the word about the show.
This show is brought to you by our co-hosts Daniel Goleman, Hanuman Goleman, and Elizabeth Solomon and is sponsored by Key Step Media, your source for personal and professional development materials focused on mindfulness leadership and emotional intelligence.
This episode was sponsored by Podcorn. Explore sponsorship opportunities and start monetizing your podcast by signing up here.
- Special thanks to Amita who you heard at the top of the show in our “Small People, big voices,” segment.
- This episode was written and produced by Elizabeth Solomon and Gabriela Acosta.
- Episode art and production support by Bryant Johnson.
- Music includes Love Deep Sea by Frederic Lardon and theme music by Amber Ojeda.