S3E1 Dan Harris: The Painful Treasure of Self Awareness
An author, podcaster and entrepreneur Dan Harris (@danbharris) spent 21 years as an anchor and correspondent for ABC News, hosting such shows as Nightline and the weekend editions of Good Morning America. Dan has reported from all over the world covering wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and producing investigative reports in Haiti,Cambodia, and the Amazon.
After having a nationally televised panic attack on Good Morning America, Dan discovered meditation and he went on to write the best selling book 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works–A True Story. This marked the beginning of Harris’ transition from a media icon to a mindfulness expert.
The book was a welcome contribution to the mindfulness movement, as it provided a way for meditation skeptics like Harris himself, to give the practice a shot. That first book led to the 10% Happier app, a second book and Dan’s podcast, where he interviews celebrities, entrepreneurs, authors, scientists, and meditation teachers about how to do life better.
That’s half the story. In this episode, you’ll hear Dan talk about how other people see you, and how that fits or doesn’t fit with how you see yourself.
That’s another kind of self awareness and self discovery that is both painful —and a rare treasure —to get that information.
Dan Harris is an author, podcaster, and entrepreneur. For 21 years, he worked as an anchor and correspondent for ABC News, hosting such shows as Nightline and the Weekend editions of Good Morning America. Dan has reported from all over the planet, covering wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and producing investigative reports in Haiti, Cambodia, and the Amazon. After having a nationally televised panic attack on Good Morning America, Dan discovered meditation and then wrote the best-selling book “10% Happier” as a way to encourage fellow skeptics to give the practice a shot. After that first book, Dan launched the Ten Percent Happier app, wrote a second book, and started a podcast where he interviews celebrities, entrepreneurs, authors, scientists, and meditation teachers about how to do life better.
2:56 Dan, Hanuman and Liz introduce Dan Harris and discuss self awareness.
5:14 Interview begins.
9:14 Dan Harris: “ I don’t think life is easier with your eyes closed.”
11:49 What is was like for Harris to participate in a 360 review.
17:23 Dan Harris: “…for me, meditation is necessary but not sufficient.”
20:18 The power differential.
21:07 Receiving humbling feedback.
26:18 Managing Millennials and Gen Z.
32:31 Things you learn from your parents.
The following resources were referenced in today’s episode:
- First Person Plural is brought to you by Key Step Media, your source for personal and professional development materials focused on emotional intelligence, leadership, and mindfulness.
- If you’re interested in learning more about emotional intelligence and its positive impact on personal and organizational excellence, check out Leadership: The Power of Emotional Intelligence – Selected Writings by Daniel Goleman.
- This book is Daniel Goleman’s first comprehensive collection of more than two decades’ worth of key findings on leadership.
- Each chapter is a unique and useful device that helps leaders, coaches, HR officers, managers, and educators, effectively guide and motivate others.
- Leadership: The Power of Emotional Intelligence is 20% off at keystepmedia.com/shop with promo code LEADERSHIP20.
- Building Blocks of Emotional Intelligence: 12 Leadership Competency Primers
- Support our podcast by becoming a monthly Patron.
- Sign up for our Newsletter for the latest on the FPP podcast!
Subscribe to the podcast:
Have feedback? We want to hear it! Submit a Voicemail.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please rate our show and submit a review. It helps us spread the word about the show.
This show is brought to you by our co-hosts Daniel Goleman, Hanuman Goleman, and Elizabeth Solomon and is sponsored by Key Step Media, your source for personal and professional development materials focused on mindfulness leadership and emotional intelligence.
This episode was sponsored by Podcorn. Explore sponsorship opportunities and start monetizing your podcast by signing up here.
- Special thanks to Sujata, Cora and Margo who you heard at the top of the show in our “Small People, big voices,” segment.
- This episode was written and produced by Elizabeth Solomon, Kerry Seed, and Gabriela Acosta.
- Audio Production by Michele Zipkin.
- Episode art and production support by Bryant Johnson.
- Music includes Tiny Footsteps in the Snow by Bio Unit and theme music by Amber Ojeda.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE:
- 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works–A True Story by Dan Harris
- Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: A 10% Happier How-To Book by Dan Harris, Jeffrey Warren, and Carlye Adler
- Dan’s Panic Attack on Live Television | ABC News
- 360-Degree Feedback
PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE: