S2E13 Navigating Bias in Corporate America with Britna Bennett
For the last act in our series on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, we hear from Britna Bennett who shares the challenges she has faced as a Black woman, first-generation immigrant, and first generation college graduate navigating discrimination in corporate America. She also shares the importance of finding internal champions who will go up to bat for underrepresented employees and emphasizes the need for finding a workplace that authentically celebrates your identity and fosters psychological safety.
Britna is a Black woman, first generation American, descendant of Jamaican parents and Afro-Caribbean ancestors, first generation college graduate, and is the first generation to navigate work life in corporate America.
Britna is currently a Consulting and Marketing Associate at The Cee Suite and has a background in various sectors and disciplines, including omnichannel marketing, nonprofit programming, coaching, and facilitation. During the early part of her career as a National Campaign Manager for Macy’s corporate, Britna began to discover her passion for mentorship and DEI and took on leadership opportunities that allowed her to fuel her commitment to these areas.
She has since gone on to work with several nonprofits as a marketing consultant and program and development lead. Britna most recently worked as a career specialist for first-generation students who identify as BIPOC and attend various City Universities of New York.
Rooted in her mission to partner with individuals in their journey to unlock the best version of themselves, Britna is also a certified coach, not only supporting her clients in their careers but also in gaining clarity in life and health.
The following resources were referenced in today’s episode:
- Learn more about the Cee Suite, a certified talent management consultancy, with a specialized focus in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Building Blocks of Emotional Intelligence: 12 Leadership Competency Primers
- Personal Sustainability Index (online assessment)
- Support our podcast by becoming a monthly Patron.
- Sign up for our Newsletter for the latest on the FPP podcast!
Subscribe to the podcast:
Have feedback? We want to hear it! Submit a Voicemail.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please rate our show and submit a review. It helps us spread the word about the show.
This show is brought to you by our co-hosts Daniel Goleman, Hanuman Goleman, and Elizabeth Solomon and is sponsored by Key Step Media, your source for personal and professional development materials focused on mindfulness leadership and emotional intelligence.
This episode was sponsored by Podcorn. Explore sponsorship opportunities and start monetizing your podcast by signing up here.
- Special thanks to Sujata who you heard at the top of the show in our “Small People, big voices,” segment.
- This episode was written and produced by Elizabeth Solomon and Gabriela Acosta.
- Audio Production by Michele Zipkin.
- Episode art and production support by Bryant Johnson.
- Music includes Play Pelagic by Little Glass Men and theme music by Amber Ojeda.