The Emotional Intelligence Coaching Certification (EICC) is an intensive program, on par with graduate and professional-level studies, that provides participants access to the only coaching certification and suite of EI offerings Dr. Goleman has released. Over the years, many programs have drawn upon Dr. Goleman’s work, but this is the only program he is formally affiliated with and that operates with his direct involvement.
The EICC incorporates the following in-person and virtual learning components, providing students a unique and evidence-based framework for their own EI development as well as that of their clients:
- Seven days of in-person training and ten months of coach-supervised coursework and practicum.
- Evidence-based content created by leading experts in the fields of EI, Leadership Development, and Coaching.
- A Meta-Coach (an expert coach) for guidance and support.
- Validated assessments and real-time feedback on progress.
- A comprehensive toolkit of learning materials that can be customized for individual clients and large organizations.
- An active community of peers and experienced coaches.
Ashley Paczolt, LinkedIn Senior Manager, Global Customer Experience & Scaling
Research has shown that EI can positively shape our relationships and our outcomes – at work, and in life – yet developing the suite of EI competencies in a lasting and effective way can be a challenge without the support and guidance of a qualified coach.
Drawing upon evidence-based techniques, real-time feedback, and an applied coaching model, our aim is simple: To give coaches a framework to help their clients build Emotional Intelligence. We strive towards a transformative growth experience that brings beneficial impact not only to the clients who you serve, but their entire circle of influence, the organizations in which they play a role, and society at large.
Wagner Denuzzo, IBM VP, GBS Talent & Leadership Transformation
Our program gives you access to the wisdom and guidance of an EI Meta-Coach – an expert-level coach who will guide you for the duration of the program. They will partner with our Faculty to help you develop greater Focus, Self-Awareness, Emotional Balance, Empathy, Positive Outlook, and Adaptability.
Growth in these areas will bring you greater understanding of and agency over the connection between your mindset, your actions, and your results. Working with a coach helps you understand how these multidimensional facets are interconnected and how you can foster healthier patterns that enrich your personal and professional relationships. While experiencing this process first hand, you will learn to use the tools and methodology that will enable you to guide similar transformation in those you coach.
The Daniel Goleman Emotional Intelligence Coaching Certification seeks to bridge the knowing-doing gap using the Emotional Intelligence framework to develop the twelve competencies known to positively differentiate our overall efficacy and to maximize our ability to exercise our personal agency (that over which we have direct influence in our lives).
The program draws upon evidence-based behavioral change theory, positive psychology, unconscious bias, compassion training, neuroscience, Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Techniques. Students will be trained in these concepts and practices as well as a defined coaching methodology.
There are 12 competencies in the Emotional and Social Intelligence Leadership Competency Model developed by Daniel Goleman and Richard Boyatzis. The individual competencies are below, falling into 4 primary domains:
- Self-Awareness is the foundational capacity to recognize and understand our own emotions and how they affect others.
- Self-Management fosters a means by which to balance emotions in the interest of making progress towards our goals.
- Social Awareness helps us connect with and understand the people around us.
- Relationship Management guides effective interactions with others to make a greater impact.
EICC Learning Journey
Michelle Strydom, CEO at the SMG Group
Through the coaching certification process, you will experience an immersion in the Daniel Goleman coaching methodology, a framework that will guide your individual experience as a student in this coaching program, as well as what you will be trained to guide your clients through upon completing your certification.
We have structured a transformational learning journey that supports coaches and their clients as they practice shifting ingrained habits and building new ones that better serve their aims:
Learn. Each day, you will have access to our online learning platform where you will watch a brief video or read a brief article about Emotional Intelligence.
Apply. You will experiment and gain facility with what EI looks and feels like in the real world by directly applying what you have learned about at an intellectual level.
Reflect & Journal. By reflecting and journaling about what you’ve learned, you develop a working knowledge of EI in a way that integrates your intellectual and your experiential understanding. This allows you to see the habits of mind that keep you and your clients stuck.
Ready to learn how it all works? Read on for the details on program structure, or jump to the webinar at the bottom of the next section for a narrated walkthrough.
The Coaching Certification program lasts approximately nine months with the Practicum. For the first half of the program, students have bi-weekly calls with their Meta-Coach. The second half of the program students are partnered with another student from the cohort who they will alternate coaching and being coached by.
For the entirety of the program, students have access to an experiential, online learning journey that is geared towards installing the behaviors needed for habit change and the development of EI.
Pre-work & Assessments
After enrollment and before Residency 1, students will complete the following assessments:
- 360-degree Assessment
- Coaching Intake Questionnaire
- Personal Sustainability Index (PSI)
- Motivational Drivers & Behavioral Preferences (MDBP)
- 2-day in-person event outside of Vienna, Austria from July 4-5, 2019
- Program kick off and overview
- Meta-Coach will debrief participants on their assessments
- Get to know one another and actively engage with each other
- Complete online learning paths in the Foundational Skills of EI
- Daily journaling
- Bi-weekly (every other week) coaching sessions with Meta-Coach
- A 5-day in-person event to be held outside of Vienna, Austria from September 16-20, 2019.
- Unpack the Learning Journey
- Practice coaching techniques
- Learn how to read and respond to journal entries
- Debrief assessments and conduct coaching intake with your learning partner
- Complete individual learning tracks: Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Techniques (MBSR) Techniques, Movement and Mindfulness, Conflict Management, and Diversity, Inclusion & Unconscious Bias.
- Complete online learning paths in the Relationship Skills of EI
- Daily journaling
- Weekly coaching sessions with your learning partner, guided by your Meta-Coach
- Coach two clients, Meta-Coach on hand to provide support and guidance
- Oral and Written Exam
- Occurs every two years
- Submit portfolio of relevant learning and development & coaching experience
We see coaches as wise ambassadors of positive transformation, helping clients to see that they are fully equipped to deal with all manner of situations by tapping into their own core capacities for self-empowerment and change.
We see the role of a coach as that of an advocate and a catalyst for the client’s positive transformation, helping clients to:
- Discern what they do and do not have control over
- Find their personal agency and influence
- See the best in themselves, in others, and in circumstances
- Realize the impact their habits of mind have on their outlook and results
- Discover/rediscover their purpose and values
- Understand how they get stuck in their own mental models and how to spot and break unproductive patterns
- Find and channel their Inner Coach long after formal coaching is complete
A Great Coach:
- Brings a point of view
- Confirms hunches
- Is okay being wrong
- Is kind, calm, and clear
- Is direct and respectful
- Creates personal safety
- Keeps confidentiality
- Is fluid and adaptable, not prescribed or mechanical
- Has impeccable listening skills
- Applies the mindset and practices they advocate
- Is able to see patterns in a client’s perceptions and behaviors and brings them to the client’s attention in a thoughtful, nonjudgmental manner
Students in the Daniel Goleman Emotional Intelligence Coaching Certification program will be coached by “Meta-Coaches” – a group of highly-experienced subject matter experts who will guide and support you through this learning journey.
Get to know our program Faculty below.
Meta-Coaches (Cohort 1, 2018)
Meta-Coaches (Cohort 2, 2019)
As a certified coach in the Daniel Goleman Emotional Intelligence methodology, you will have the benefit of a comprehensive, evidence-based, and multi-disciplinary learning experience. You will gain meaningful new insights that positively impact your personal and professional life while elevating your expertise. Upon completion of the program, you will be equipped to guide clients through their own transformation.
You will have the opportunity to become part of a network of Emotional Intelligence coaching professionals through which clients may be referred. You will also benefit from clients having access to an in-depth online program in Emotional Intelligence, for which your coaching will be perfectly aligned, giving you a clear and structured framework to help your clients develop EI.
Here is what you can expect as a student:
- Unique focus on the Foundational & Relationship Skills of EI
- Combination of cognitive + behavioral techniques
- Practical coaching tools and methodologies
- Validated assessments co-designed by Dr. Goleman and Dr. Boyatzis
Here is what your clients will gain from working with you after you are certified:
- A clear path to develop their self-agency and Inner Coach
- Increased capacity for Self-Awareness, Focus, and Empathy
- Ability to find and sustain emotional balance in times of stress
- Stronger and more effective relationships
- Increased engagement, wellbeing, and performance
- A functional understanding of EI and how to apply it in everyday situations
- Capacity to embrace complexity, navigate interdependencies, and thrive in transparent, feedback-rich environments
- Operate with a clear vision of the greater good, beyond individual or organizational goals
Program fees are $15,000 USD. Program participants will be responsible for their travel and lodging associated with each of the two residencies. Program fees will include meals at each residency.
We will be accepting and reviewing applications on a rolling basis until the program is full. Cohort sizes are capped at 50. We will create a waiting list once this limit is met. We may reach out to you to schedule an interview if further dialogue regarding your application is needed.
Upon formal acceptance into the program, you will receive a registration link to complete your enrollment. We will require a payment of 50% of program fees at that time to reserve your spot, with the remaining balance due no later than one month before the start of your program. Please see our FAQs for further details.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is meant by coaching certification?
Individuals who undertake the Emotional Intelligence Coaching Certification (EICC), will be trained in a specific coaching framework, philosophy, and methodology geared towards helping clients develop the suite of Emotional Intelligence competencies. Upon successful completion of the program, participants will become certified coaches in the Daniel Goleman Emotional Intelligence Coaching model, which will give them the credentials and training to work with their own client base as well as clients we refer to our certified coaches. To receive the EICC coaching certification the following is required:
- Applying Emotional Intelligence and reflective practices within your own experience and practice as a coach.
- Successful completion of all training requirements listed in the program details, including full participation in both residencies and completion of the practicum and final exam.
- Complete the practicum portion of the program
- The sincere desire and commitment to train in and develop a contemplative or meditation practice during the program.
How will I be able to use my certification?
Certification allows an existing coach (or an aspiring one) to work with associates and leaders within their respective settings.
- Coaches, Leaders, OD Practitioners, and/or Consultants may choose to become certified in order to incorporate EICC methods, tools, and practices into their existing coaching and/or consulting practices.
- Individuals who successfully complete the certification will have the opportunity to be affiliated with Key Step Media’s (KSM) Coaching Team and can either continue working with their own clients and/or with KSM’s client base on a referred basis.
- Finally, depending on how a program graduate decides to apply what they’ve learned, they will receive credentials that identify how they are using their certification:
Option 1: Should an individual decide to continue using the Daniel Goleman methodology within the framework in which it has been designed for use with clients (i.e. in tandem with the online Emotional Intelligence Training and in the same format in which they have been certified), then participants will utilize the following credentials: Emotional Intelligence Certified Coach (EICC) and will be able to indicate that they are a graduate of the Daniel Goleman Emotional Intelligence Coaching Certification program.
Option 2: Those who integrate what they’ve learned into their own methodology will receive the designation of: Emotional Intelligence Certified Practitioner (EICP) and will be able to indicate they are a graduate of the Daniel Goleman Emotional Intelligence Coaching Certification program.
Are their plans to offer the coaching certification program with residencies in Australia, Europe, Brazil or Asia?
In response to the demand the second cohort of the coaching certificate will be held in Europe. The residencies for cohort two will be held outside of Vienna, Austria. When there is a critical mass of applicants from other geographies, we will hold programs in those places as well. To demonstrate your interest in an international Coaching Certification and to receive updates on future cohorts, sign up here.
Can those whose native language is other than English enroll in the EICC program?
While non-native speakers of English are welcome to enroll in the program, they need to be aware that all elements are presently conducted in English, both the written and in-person course content and facilitation. For non-native English speakers, we will do our best to pair Meta-Coaches with participants who speak the same languages. However, this is not a guarantee and therefore should not be factored into your decision to attend the cohort. We are in the process of translating course content, but we do not have an estimated completion time frame yet in which we will have this done.
Is this program an Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP)?
We are pursuing ACTP status and anticipate receiving credentialing after the requisite waiting period for new coaching certification programs. That said, we anticipate that our program will itself become a standard for the coaching industry, as we intend to study the drivers of efficacy of the coaching engagement and the online training program, the credentials of which will carry with it the weight of Daniel Goleman as a pioneer in the field of study surrounding Emotional Intelligence.
At what point in the training program can I begin coaching clients in the Daniel Goleman methodology?
After you have successfully completed the coursework portion of the program, you will coach two clients as part of the practicum. You will be able to coach additional clients after you successfully complete the certification program.
Is a graduate degree necessary to be considered for the program?
You can become certified without a graduate degree; however, coaches with a graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. psychology, organizational behavior, or education) will be evaluated as having a common set of prerequisites to be successful in the program. When an applicant does not have a graduate degree, we will look for personal and professional experience that provides a similar depth of skill and understanding.
Are there any prerequisites?
No, however, we are selective with regard to who we accept into the program. The intent of each cohort is to draw from participants whose experience will add to the overall group dynamic of those admitted into the cohorts.
How long does it take to become fully certified?
Approximately 8-12 months. Please see the program flow, which outlines the various key elements of the program and length of time it takes to complete each step.
How much does it cost to complete the certification?
$15,000 USD + travel & lodging for two, onsite residencies lasting 2 and 5 days respectively. The estimated lodging costs (the portion participants are responsible for paying) are €150/weeknight and €259/weekend night + any applicable taxes. The program fees include resort fees and meals during each of the residencies.
How can I be certain to reserve my spot once my application has been accepted?
Once you are notified that your application has been accepted, you’ll need to pay at least half of the program fees to reserve your spot ($7,500 USD). You will then have until one month before the start of the program to pay the remaining balance. If we don’t receive the remaining balance at that time, we will open up the spot to whomever is next on the waiting list.
How long will it take before I am informed as to whether I have been accepted into the program?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to applicants within two to three weeks of their initial application. We may request an interview to help with our decision-making process.
What happens if I decide not to attend the program after having reserved my spot?
We have a limited number of spaces for each cohort. Therefore, if you decide to withdraw from the program after the initial deposit of $7,500 is made, we will retain half ($3,750) in the event we are unable to fill your spot with another participant.
If you withdraw after June 1st, 2019, by which time the full balance will have been paid, we will only be able to refund 50% ($7,500) of the total program fees – unless we have a replacement to take your spot.
Once the coaching certification training has begun (July 4th), withdrawals from the program will result in a forfeiture of 75% ($11,250) of the total program fees. This is to account for program costs and logistics associated with running the program that will already be in motion.
Should there be an unforeseen obstacle to your being able to attend the program, and the initial deposit or the entirety of the program fees have been made, you will be given the option to attend a future cohort.
Where will the residencies be held?
The residencies for Cohort 2 will take place at St. Martin Therme & Lodge in Vienna, Austria.
When are arrival and departure times for the first residency?
Participants are asked to arrive the night before the first full day of both residencies and depart the morning after the last full day of coursework. Should you decide to arrive or depart on the day a residency begins or ends, you need to be onsite for the full day of instruction.
What if I cannot commit to attending both residencies? Can I attend remotely online?
Attendance at both residencies in person is required. If you have scheduling conflicts, we encourage you to apply when your schedule will permit. To receive updates on future cohorts, please fill out our interest form here.
Do the online portions of the program or residencies cost extra?
No. The online portions of the program and residencies themselves are included in the program cost. However, the costs associated with travel & lodging to and from the residencies are not included in the program cost and should be factored in as an out-of-pocket expense.
What is the time commitment needed to complete the program? Can I be working at the same time as completing the program?
- While the program is designed for working professionals to be able to complete the various program elements while they carry on with their full-time endeavors, the EICC program represents a substantial commitment of time and effort. The commitment includes the time dedicated to the training itself, being coached by a Meta-Coach, and applying the practices and coaching techniques as you are learning them.
- There are 24 weeks of online training, which is designed to take between 10 and 20 minutes a day to complete, 5-6 days per week. We realize people are busy which is why we have designed the program to be accessible and doable. (Note: There will numerous optional articles, practices, and videos that participants can access in addition to required content.)
- There is a daily journal requirement for the duration of the the 24 weeks of the curriculum portion of the program. You should set aside 5-10 minutes for this purpose.
- Being coached by a Meta-Coach, will require a time commitment of about 1 hour every other week for the first 12 weeks of the program.
- Coaching, being coached, and reading the journals of a fellow student in your cohort will require approximately 1 hour of coaching every week and 1 hour to read and respond to their journals entries during the second 12 weeks of the program.
- Keep in mind, there is a significant applied (i.e. practice) component, which takes the form of daily application of concepts, self-reflection, and introspection (the insights of which program participants are encouraged to capture via their daily reflections). These elements are key to changing behavior and implementing the practices you are learning.
- Overall, the weekly commitment including online and coaching elements is approximately 2.5 to 3.5 hours per week depending upon your personal reflection and journaling practice. This does not include the time it will take to practice or apply the various practices and concepts you are learning as part of the program. But since these are presumably things you’d be doing anyway, shifting your perspective or approach in doing them doesn’t add to the time it takes to carry these out. The only risk is that you just might be more skillful in doing them.
Can I take the online portion of the training and forego the certification process?
You would not receive a coaching certification if you only completed the online portion of the training. Instead, you would receive a certificate of completion for the online training itself, which would not qualify you necessarily to coach others using the EICC approach. Learn more about our online training programs here.
Will Daniel Goleman facilitate the residency sessions?
While the coaching certification program has been designed and developed by Daniel Goleman and his team of coaches and subject matter experts at Key Step Media, he will not be facilitating as part of the program.
What if I already have a coaching certification – will this methodology be suitable for integration with other forms of coaching?
Yes, the value of an EI coaching certification is that you can integrate it with other certifications and/or your own coaching approach. There will be a distinct professional designation, however, should you decide to utilize the training they have received outside of the specific framework in which it was designed (as outlined in another question in the FAQs). The practices you will learn are infinitely applicable in any setting, professional and personal. Since it is a model that is based on the evidence-based framework of Emotional Intelligence, it is not an investment of your time, energy, and money that will simply go out of style or diminish in usefulness. Rather, it can be viewed as the foundation upon which other approaches, practices, and concepts can be built.
Can coach certification training be offered within a business or enterprise?
Yes. We are always working with business partners who are developing internal coaching capacity. Individuals who successfully complete the coaching certification program can coach individuals within their own organization using the Daniel Goleman Emotional Intelligence Coaching model or they may integrate aspects of what they have learned into their company’s existing coaching paradigm. There will be separate and distinct designations, however, to indicate the specific approach that is being used (details outlined above in the FAQs). For more detail on how an organization might seed this coaching program and approach within their existing business or leadership development strategy, please contact Michele Nevarez: email@example.com.
To what extent does this coaching model measure individual progress?
We will be drawing from technology (vis-à-vis a mobile app) along with assessments to be able to provide program participants (and the clients they will eventually coach using this methodology) with meaningful progress updates and value personal insights. More details to follow.
I would rather be coached than go through the coaching certification program at this time. Who should I talk to?
Please fill out our Interest in Being Coached in Emotional Intelligence form to receive updates on our forthcoming programs.